Michael S Gardner
Michael S Gardner
Deputy Chief Information Officer
USDA Rural Development
Results-driven professional with over 26 years of diverse experience in both the public and private sectors implementing, administering, and overseeing multi-million dollar mission-critical Information Technology Modernization programs. Culturally sensitive and internationally traveled leader with proven interpersonal skills including managing and mentoring; championing ideas; building consensus and coalitions.
Areas of Expertise
• AppSec: Security requirements analysis; threat modeling; secure code review; security architecture review; secure software development methodologies; and penetration testing using OWASP and SANS best practices.
• System Security Engineering: In-depth experience with many security methodologies, frameworks and technologies including Secure Mobility, Identity Credential and Access Management (ICAM), Service-Oriented Architecture Security, Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), and Cloud Security to implement NIST, FIPS, OMB and ISO controls.
• Program Management using Project Management Institute (PMI®) best practices.
• Federal Acquisition Expertise: Certified Contract Officer Representative authoring and managing numerous federal contracts.
• Enterprise Architecture: The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF), Federal Enterprise Architecture Framework (FEAF), DoD Architectural Framework (DoDAF), IT Strategy, roadmap, and process modeling; Emerging technology analysis; Object Oriented Analysis and Design
• Programming Languages: Java Enterprise, Standard, and Micro Editions using Eclipse IDE; Microsoft ASP.Net model-view-controller framework; Microsoft C / C++; Structured Query Language (SQL); Android SDK and the Android Development Tools; iOS Objective-C and xCode
• IT Investment Management using Capital Planning and Investment Control (CPIC) methodologies for selecting, controlling, and evaluating the performance of enterprise-wide cybersecurity initiatives throughout the full lifecycle.